Thursday, December 15, 2011

Oldies but Goodies

     Today I want to explore some of the best Christmas songs from the bands of the '60s. Lots of good music and amazing bands from the sixties but the ratio of Christmas songs on my iPod is off. Released in 71 Happy Christmas-War Is Over is the first song I think of from the era. The Polyphonic Spree do a really good cover of the song and as I am sure we are all very familiar with the original I posted Polyphonic Spree's version.



     Perhaps my favorite of all is Father Christmas by The Kooks. A very punk rock take on Santa and his bag of toys. Forget the silly little toys, we just want your money.



    
     An underrated and until this year, unknown to me song is James Brown's Santa Claus, Go Straight To The Ghetto. I find it suspicious though, that none of the names listed are very "ghetto" I was expecting an Orangello or lil' something. Awesome song. Belle & Sebastian do a pretty good cover of this one but the original is still king.



     I couldn't very well do an oldies Christmas without posting Little Saint Nick by The Beach Boys. Very Beach Boys. Like they heard Little Deuce Coope on the radio one day and said "That would make a GREAT Christmas song." Because evidently it isn't a blog post if I don't mention them, the Muppets sang this one with Denver. She & Him covered it on their new Christmas album too.



     Last but not least, Christmas Time Is Here Again by The Beatles. And how appropriate with today being the day our troops are O-U-T of Iraq! Welcome home men. Happy holidays to our troops. Because of brave men we can celebrate this season however we choose. Chritmaka anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wich version of Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas is your favorite?